Monday, May 30, 2016

The Jot Down: Keeping a Travel Journal

A good journal is a place where memories live. It adds meaning to every journey, and it gives the writer a whole new perspective about their destination.

If you know me personally, you’ll probably think that my memory is a mess. But with my love for wandering and my chosen profession, I need to jot every detail of my trip down to make sure I write the best piece of travel advice I could give.

Still not sure on how to start with your travel journal? Here are a few tips that will help you get started.

http://cdn.wanderlust.co.uk/contentimages/wanderlust/Articles-writing-in-a-diary-shutterstock-see-credit-below.jpg?width=620&height=372
 Image source: shutterstock.com

Write down your itinerary

Keep track of your trip by writing down your itinerary before you start with your daily on-trip entry. Your itinerary may include the mode of transportation you used to get to your location for the day, expenses, and notable firsts while on your journey.

Go deep with the details

Your entries don’t have to be grand and artsy all the time but don’t be afraid to describe what you experienced. It can be in the form of words, a picture, or a sketch.

http://theletsgoladies.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Sara-Hamil_The-Lets-Go-Ladies_travel-journal.png
 Image source: theletsgoladies.com

Take time to reflect

What did you learn while on a trip? Traveling exposes us to different cultures and beliefs, and there’s surely a takeaway from every destination you set foot on. Take time to reflect, and express your soul through your entries.

Traveling is all about learning about one’s self while experiencing different places. Get more travel tips when you follow me, Louis Habash, on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment